Monday, September 7, 2009

Laboring Day

After a year and a half of browsing recipes and recreating them every week, with a few memorable baking failures, I've decided to finally venture into the blogging world to inscribe my adventures with my mixer and measuring tools. Good results or bad, baking never ceases to calm me down or bring a smile to my face. I hope drawing myself closer to experienced bakers will improve my mediocre attempts in the kitchen (and mediocre photography) as well, enough so that I can participate in baking and pastry courses in the future.

Speaking of the kitchen, once in a long while, my parents go all out and throw dinner parties that are well worth their effort. Yesterday, in honor of the Labor Day weekend, they decided to purchase various meats and side dishes and gather our scattered relatives for an evening barbecue, and I am happy to say that it was a success!

Just for kicks: the pepper that my brother insisted we buy for its attractive appearance

And my contribution:

Picture credits to my older brother, Daniel

I made two simple apple pies with no added sugar because the majority of the dinner guests were older and preferred desserts that were "not too sweet." Of course, plenty of natural sugar exists in the apples alone, and most likely in the frozen crusts that I used because I was pressed for time, but there was nothing to be done about that...

To my delight, the adults readily forked in bites of this pie and rewarded me repeatedly with, "This is good, and it's not that sweet!"

Mission accomplished.

Recipe for a "Healthier" Apple Pie:

3 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp cinnamon
1.5 cups sugar-free apple juice concentrate
6 cups thinly sliced apples
1 nine-inch pie crust
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Whisk cornstarch, cinnamon, and 1/2 cup of apple juice concentrate in a small bowl until well combined.
  3. In a large saucepan, simmer apple slices with remaining concentrate until tender (7-10 minutes), then stir in cornstarch mixture. Simmer until sauce is thickened.
  4. Pour or arrange apple slices in pie crust, and brush with remaining syrup.
  5. Bake for 40-45 minutes.
My next posts will be more brief and to the point; I was just excited to start a new blog, hence the lengthiness. And if anyone wants anything baked, please let me know; I need a lot of practice. =)

0 comments: