Thursday, December 31, 2009

Cheese Crackers

I know several people who don't like cheese. And I can't understand why. I've seen them use their forefingers and thumbs to pick layers of mozzarella off pizza slices; I've observed them deconstructing their sandwiches to dig out squares of Swiss cheese. I am not one of those people. I remember reaching for packs of string cheese at the supermarket and enjoying every last strand while I read books or watched cartoons. My dad, who shares this love of cheese, frequently bought blocks of cheddar and sliced them into thin squares for our family to pair with crackers. And more recently, my brother decided to make crescent rolls stuffed with Brie and raspberry preserves. (I hope he makes them again someday; thanks Oppa)

Sometimes, I crave that flavorful, slightly salty tang of cheese, and I have to find a way to quench that craving. And a few days ago, I was struck with a longing for Cheez-its, which is strange because I've heard many negative things about these crackers and haven't had them since I was in middle school.

So of course I had to look for a recipe for cheese crackers.


I based my recipe off of one I found on Smitten Kitchen; I tweaked it a bit, making use of some of the flours and grains in my cupboards and using a different cheese.



Multigrain Sesame Cheddar Crackers

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1/4 cup oat bran
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2/3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1/4 cup butter or margarine (half a stick), cut into 5-6 pieces
1/4 cup cream
2 tsp black sesame seeds
2 tsp toasted white sesame seeds

Preheat oven to 400°F.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Combine flours, oat bran, salt, red pepper flakes, and cheese in a large bowl.
Combine butter with the flour mixture, breaking butter up into smaller pieces, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. (I did this with my fingers)
Add cream, stirring until dough becomes solid and smooth.
Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness, and slice into squares or cut out shapes with cookie cutters.
Set 1-2 inches apart on parchment, dock with fork, and sprinkle with black and white sesame seeds.
Bake for 11-13 minutes, until edges are browned and crackers are slightly puffed.
Cool and store in airtight container at room temperature.

By the way, it is now 12:13AM in California. Happy New Year! I can't believe it's been a decade since we rang in the millenium.

1 comments:

Daniel said...

mmm, im getting more aqcuired to the stinky ones. goat cheese is awesome!